Sunday, August 2, 2009

Crazy Beautiful (Review)

From the back cover:

“In an explosion of his own making, Lucius blew his arms off. Now he has hooks. He chose hooks because they were cheaper. He chose hooks because he wouldn't outgrow them so quickly. He chose hooks so that everyone would know he was different, so he would scare even himself.

Then he meets Aurora. The hooks don't scare her. They don't keep her away. In fact, they don't make any difference at all to her.

But to Lucius, they mean everything. They remind him of the beast he is inside. Perhaps Aurora is his Beauty, destined to set his soul free from its suffering.

Or maybe she's just a girl who needs love just like he does.”


My Review:

To start, I’d been hearing buzz about this book for quite a few weeks before I actually started looking into it, but once I did I had to read it. Beauty and the Beast is one of my all time favorite Disney movies (I cry EVERY time… >_<) and so I was super excited but also a little nervous to read Crazy Beautiful, hoping it would be a good retelling, and not too sad. I was NOT disappointed.

Lucius is a great reimagining of the beast; dark and brooding, hardened by his past, yet still maintaining the softness of character that we look for in our favorite anti-hero.

Aurora fits the bill of Belle perfectly, from pretty face, to her saintly morals and manners; she’s the picture of loveliness, and we can easily see why Lucius is drawn to her from the start.

The POV switching between chapters kept the story moving along nicely, and I loved getting to see their reactions to each other, and the chapters never got to long so all and all it flowed really well!

The only thing I didn’t like about this book was that I felt like it ended kind of abruptly, I wanted more! But overall it was a great quick read I’d definitely recommend!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Don't forget to comment on Lauren's interview post as many times as you want to be entered to win my ARC of Crazy Beautiful!


xoxoxo

1 comment:

Lindsay :) said...

Thanks for the review. The book sounds great!